Construction Occupation Licence - Plumber or Drainer - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to undertake plumbing or drainage work. There are two licensable occupations, with various occupation classes. Plumber occupations:

  • Sanitary plumber;
  • Water supply plumber;
  • Irrigation plumber;
  • Journeyperson plumber;
  • Fire sprinkler fitter; or
  • Journeyperson fire sprinkler fitter.

Drainer occupations:

  • An advanced sanitary drainer's licence;
  • Journeyperson drainer licence; or
  • Operative drainer licence.

If you intend to undertake backflow prevention device test work as a licensed plumber you must first receive an endorsement from the registrar. Backflow prevention device test work means any work that is undertaken to test a backflow prevention device that forms part of a water service, hot water system, irrigation system or fire sprinkler system.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must not be suspended from holding a construction occupation licence in any class. If you are applying for a licence that would allow the provision of a construction service without supervision, then you must:

  • Not have been found guilty of an offence that involves fraud or dishonesty; and
  • Not have been found guilty of an offence that is punishable by imprisonment for at least 1 year.

For information on the qualifications required for the class of construction occupation you intend to apply to, please refer to the Construction Occupations (Licensing) (Mandatory Qualifications) Declaration. Please note that it is now a requirement for plumbers and drainers to undertake an approved course in asbestos awareness.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

A licensee must give the registrar written notice of the following events or circumstances:

  • If the licensee becomes bankrupt or personally insolvent;
  • If the licensee is found guilty, whether in the ACT or anywhere else, of an offence that involves fraud, dishonesty or violence, and is punishable by imprisonment for at least one year; or
  • If the licensee is not insured for a construction occupation or occupation class in accordance with the regulation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding ongoing eligibility requirements.


Up to 3 years.


As specified on the licence.


ApplyLicence$541.003 years.

Individual in person or postal.

Application$228.00Individual online.

Partnership or Corporation in person or postal.


Partnership or Corporation online.

Licence$240.001 year.

Other resources



Please make your application directly to the Agency.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Act(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Land, Planning and Building
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Operating address:
16 Challis Street
Dickson, Australian Capital Territory 2602
Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 158
Canberra,Australian Capital Territory,2601


02 62078096


Access Canberra Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.