Waterway Work Licence - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to carry out construction or alteration work on a dam or a waterway or bank which water normally flows over or between. A waterway includes:

  • A river, creek, stream or other natural channel in which water flows;
  • The stormwater system or any other channel formed by altering or relocating a waterway; and
  • A lake, pond, lagoon or marsh in which water collects.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Complete the application form;
  • Submit details regarding whether you are seeking approval for surface or ground water, the amount of water sought, the water management area involved and your intended use. The waterway work must not adversely affect the flow or quality of water or the aquatic habitat in the waterway; and
  • Pay any fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



This licence is not transferable.


As stated on the licence.





Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Environment and Planning Directorate

Act(s) name

Water Resources Act 2007 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Water Resources Regulation 2007 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Water Regulation Unit
Environment and Planning Directorate
Environment and Planning Directorate
Environment Protection Authority

Operating address:
Dame Pattie Menzies House
16 Challis St
Australian Capital Territory 2602


02 6207 1923


13 22 81

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.