You will require this registration if you intend to sell, purchase, possess or use a firearm. Once a firearm has been acquired you must notify and provide details of the firearm to the Agency within seven days of acquisition. This allows the Agency to maintain a register of all firearms in the Australian Capital Territory.
Please be aware that if you intend to use a firearm registered by another person you must apply to the Agency for registration as a user of a registered firearm.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for the application you must:
- Submit an application form;
- Be aged 18 years or over;
- Be judged to be a fit and proper person;
- Be able to prove your identity through a system similar to the criteria for opening a bank account or applying for a passport;
- Provide copies of a birth certificate and/or other documentation;
- Meet secure home storage and safety requirements for the firearm(s);
- Be a resident of the Australian Capital Territory as evidenced by a recent rates notice, telephone or electricity account, a lease agreement, a copy of business registration, or a letter from an employer;
- Provide any other document as required by the Agency; and
- Pay all relevant application fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Until change of ownership.
Registration of firearm: $18 (fee payable for each firearm); Registered user: $18 (per user).
Please lodge your application form, associated documentation and payment of fees directly with the Firearms Registry.
Australian Federal Police
Firearms Act 1996 (Australian Capital Territory)
Firearms Regulation 2008 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon