Liquor Licence - On Premises - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to sell liquor (alcohol) at a single licensed premises in open containers for consumption at the premises. This licence category includes three subclasses of licence:

  • Bar licences: for premises that predominantly serve liquor at the premises;
  • Nightclub licences: for premises that predominantly have dancing and entertainment; and
  • Restaurant and cafe licences: for premises that predominantly serve meals for consumption on the premises.

Liquor is defined as a substance that can be ingested and contains more than 1.15 percent by volume of ethanol.

Please be aware that separate licensing requirements may apply for the sale of alcohol on university premises.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Submit an application form;
  • Be a fit and proper person for the purpose of the licence;
  • Be 18 years or older;
  • Have an understanding of the Liquor Act;
  • Have successfully completed an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol training course. This training is required every 3 years;
  • Comply with the standards manual and any other requirements that may be set;
  • Submitted a risk assessment management plan; and
  • Pay any required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.




Licence expires on 30 November each year.



Renewal costs vary according to the occupancy loading and the times the club is licensed to operate. Minimum cost: $2695; Maximum cost: $18,885.



You will also be required to lodge a police criminal history check when you submit your application. Your completed application form, associated documentation (as outlined on the application form) and the required fees must be lodged directly with the Office of Regulatory Services, Business and Industry Licensing Unit. Payment of the National Police Check should be made directly to the Australian Federal Police.

Approval time

Six weeks.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2010 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2010 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Liquor Licensing and Permits
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 158
Canberra,Australian Capital Territory,2601


13 22 81


02 6207 4000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.