You will require this licence if you intend to operate as a trainer and / or driver of a harness racehorse (standardbred horse). A driver is the person steering the horse, not a jockey. There are three grades of driver licences that you can apply for:
- Grade C: allows you to drive at trials, to carry out track work on registered tracks and to drive at any meeting to prepare a horse to race at that meeting other than during the horse's immediate pre-race preliminary.
- Grace B: has the same driving rights as a Grade C licence and is also licensed to drive at restricted meetings, other than in races of a metropolitan class, at country or provincial meetings, including country or provincial class meetings at metropolitan sites.
- Grade A: has the driving licence rights of Class B and Class C and is licensed to drive at any meeting.
A trainer is the person who trains the horse intended for racing. There are three grades of trainer's licences that you can apply for:
- Grade C: allows you to prepare, educate and exercise a horse, however you cannot trial it or nominate it to race.
- Grade B: allows you to train a horse which you own or partly own or which is owned by your spouse, other domestic partner, parent, sibling or child, or any horse approved by the Agency upon your written application.
- Grade A: allows you to train any horse.
Licensed trainers must ensure that all persons carrying out the activities of a stablehand are licensed as stablehands. This is a separate application process.
Please be aware that that you must comply with the specified rules and your licence may be subject to conditions.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for a driver licence you must:
- Be at least 15 years old (Grade C), or be at least 16 years old (Grade B and Grace A);
- Provide two recent passport photographs;
- Provide certified extract of birth;
- Provide a Police record;
- Complete the training modules; and
- Submit the application form.
To be eligible for a trainer licence you must:
- Be 18 years or older;
- Have two references from licensed trainers;
- Own, lease or otherwise have available for use stables which in the opinion of the Agency are suitable or the training of horses;
- If required, provide evidence of financial capacity to operate a training establishment;
- Complete the required training; and
- Submit the application form.
Please be aware that eligibility will vary depending on the licence grade you are applying for. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
31 August each year.
Fees are listed on the application form.
Racing Act 1999 (Australian Capital Territory)
Australian Harness Racing Rules (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon