Application to Become an Energy Retailer - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this authorisation if you intend to engage in the retail sale of energy (electricity or gas). This includes supply of electricity to premises that are connected, or are to be connected, to the interconnected national electricity system as well the supply of natural gas to retail customers through a distribution pipeline. If you are seeking to be a dual fuel retailer and sell both gas and electricity, then two applications need to be submitted. Please consult with the Contact Officer before submitting a dual fuel application.

There are situations where you may be eligible for an exemption to the requirement to hold this authorisation, for example if you only sell to large industrial customers, or if you are the owner of a caravan park or retirement village and you buy electricity from an authorised retailer then onsell it to tenants.

This authorisation is in place to ensure that energy providers are complying with relevant rules and legislation and therefore customers' rights are being protected, with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security of supply of energy. Authorised retailers details, and any application for authorisation are published in a public register so that customers can compare all gas and electricity offers in their area to check if they are receiving the best offer for their needs.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this authorisation you must:

  • Have sufficient organisational and technical capacity;
  • Have sufficient financial resources or access to resources; and
  • Be a suitable person to hold a retailer authorisation.

You can apply as an individual or as a member of a partnership or joint venture. If you are applying as a partnership or joint venture, you must satisfy specific criteria. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



You do not need to pay any fees.

Administering agency

Australian Energy Regulator

Act(s) name

National Energy Retail Law (ACT) 2012 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Australian Energy Regulator




The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.