You will require this licence if you intend to employ or contract licensed security personnel to undertake security activities in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Security activities include:
- Patrolling, guarding, watching or protecting property;
- Acting as a crowd controller;
- Acting as a bodyguard;
- Providing advice about security equipment;
- Selling security equipment;
- Installing, maintaining, monitoring, repairing or servicing security equipment;
- Acting as a security consultant; and
- Carrying out surveys and inspections of security equipment.
Please be aware that this licence only allows you to employ people for the purpose of providing a security service, if you intend to personally engage in such a service you will require your own additional Security Industry Employee Licence. Additionally, if you intend to allow your employees to offer security services involving firearms you must comply with all relevant firearms requirements.
If you are licensed in another State or Territory, you will still be required to complete all the application forms and your interstate licence status will be checked with the issuing authority. Until you are granted an ACT licence you are unable to undertake security activities using your interstate licence.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Submit an application on the approved form;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Obtain a satisfactory National Police Check and provide a record of your fingerprints;
- Meet the prescribed competency standards for the registration you are seeking, or be assessed as having experience and skills that meet or exceed the prescribed standards;
- Provide evidence of current membership with an approved industry association; and
- Provide evidence of suitable insurance coverage.
Please be aware that a separate application form must be submitted if you are applying for this licence and also hold a liquor licence.
If you hold a current equivalent licence in another Australian State or Territory, you may be eligible to apply for this licence under mutual recognition arrangements.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
1 to 3 years.
1 year: $762, 3 year: $2286. If the applicant holds a liquor licence 1 year: $227, 3 year: $681
Please submit your application directly to the Agency.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Security Industry Act 2003 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon