You will require this licence if you are an individual and you intend to build or renovate your main residence. This includes the construction of ancillary structures such as pergolas, carports and decks. Acquiring an Owner Builder Licence will allow you to conduct the building work yourself instead of employing a licensed builder.
To begin building you will need to go through the necessary development approval applications and receive a commencement notice.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Not be suspended from holding a construction occupation licence in any class;
- Show evidence of suitable qualifications (such as successful completion of an owner builder course), experience and knowledge of the legislative and technical requirements to build;
- Own the land where the work has been approved and is to be conducted;
- Not have been granted an owner-builders licence in relation to other land in the previous 5 years before applying for the owner-builders licence;
- Have gained building approval;
- Submit an application form;
- Pay the required fee; and
- Not hold a construction occupation licence, in any class, which is currently suspended.
For information on the qualifications required for an owner builder licence, please refer to the Construction Occupations (Licensing) (Mandatory Qualifications) Declaration. If you hold a current equivalent licence in another Australian State or Territory, you may be eligible to apply for this registration under mutual recognition arrangements.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
A licensee must give the registrar written notice of the following events or circumstances:
- If the licensee becomes bankrupt or personally insolvent;
the licensee is found guilty, whether in the ACT or anywhere else, of
an offence that involves fraud, dishonesty or violence, and is
punishable by imprisonment for at least one year; or
- If the licensee is not insured for a construction occupation or occupation class in accordance with the regulation.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding ongoing eligibility requirements.
Term of building approval.
As specified on the licence.
Individual in person or postal.
Partnership or Corporation in person or postal.
Partnership or Corporation online.
Please lodge your application form, supporting documentation (such as copies of qualifications) and payment of fees directly with the Authority.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon