You must apply for this permit to if you intend to undertake an activity on public unleased land. Public unleased land is unleased territory land:
- That the public is entitled to use; or
- Is open to, or used by, the public.
You will require a permit if you intend to undertake an activity that excludes some, or all, members of the public from using the land. This permit authorises you to use stated public unleased land at a specified time for a specified activity.
You will require this permit for:
- Placing tables and chairs on the footpath outside a cafe for outdoor dining;
- Placing a construction skip on a footpath;
- Placing a charity collection bin on a footpath;
- Holding markets on unleased land;
- Holding a wedding in a park;
- Holding a concert in a park; and
- Parking a car in a park.
You will also require this permit if you intend to carry on a business as a hawker. A hawker is someone who operates an itinerant business selling goods or services in a public place. Please be aware that your permit may be subject to conditions (for example, a financial assurance condition may be imposed if the activity will cause serious of material damage to the land).
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this permit you must apply in writing providing:
- The land you intend to use;
- The times that you intend to use the land;
- The particular activity you intend to use the land for; and
- Your personal details, or for corporations each influential persons personal details.
You must also provide:
- A location plan clearly showing the location, boundaries and dimensions of the land including the position of the intended activity; or
- If the activity involves placing tables and chairs for an outdoor eating or drinking place a professionally drafted location plan.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
Transport Canberra and City Services
Parks and Territory Services Division
Public Unleased Land Act 2013 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon