Public Unleased Land Permit - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You must apply for this permit to if you intend to undertake an activity on public unleased land. Public unleased land is unleased territory land:

  • That the public is entitled to use; or
  • Is open to, or used by, the public.

You will require a permit if you intend to undertake an activity that excludes some, or all, members of the public from using the land. This permit authorises you to use stated public unleased land at a specified time for a specified activity.

You will require this permit for:

  • Placing tables and chairs on the footpath outside a cafe for outdoor dining;
  • Placing a construction skip on a footpath;
  • Placing a charity collection bin on a footpath;
  • Holding markets on unleased land;
  • Holding a wedding in a park;
  • Holding a concert in a park; and
  • Parking a car in a park.

You will also require this permit if you intend to carry on a business as a hawker. A hawker is someone who operates an itinerant business selling goods or services in a public place. Please be aware that your permit may be subject to conditions (for example, a financial assurance condition may be imposed if the activity will cause serious of material damage to the land).

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must apply in writing providing:

  • The land you intend to use;
  • The times that you intend to use the land;
  • The particular activity you intend to use the land for; and
  • Your personal details, or for corporations each influential persons personal details.

You must also provide:

  • A location plan clearly showing the location, boundaries and dimensions of the land including the position of the intended activity; or
  • If the activity involves placing tables and chairs for an outdoor eating or drinking place a professionally drafted location plan.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services
Parks and Territory Services Division
City Services

Act(s) name

Public Unleased Land Act 2013 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Land Use Unit
Transport Canberra and City Services
Parks and Territory Services Division
City Services

Operating address:
2 Elimatta Street
Reid,Australian Capital Territory,2612

Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 158
Canberra,Australian Capital Territory,2601


02 62058794


02 62077133

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.