Approval of Unit Title - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to subdivide a parcel of land for either:

  • Class A or Class B units
  • Unit subsidiaries
  • Common property.

Class A units are usually contained within the one building, such as an apartment block, and the titles are separated by walls and ceilings. Class B units are usually found at ground level and can be identified by the boundaries of the property on the land the unit sits on. Unit subsidiaries are areas that are contained in the title a person may own that are separate to the actual unit they purchase (for example, a car parking space).

This approval only applies if the remaining term of the parcel's lease is at least 50 years. An approval may provide for development of all or some of the units and unit subsidiaries; this is referred to as a staged development. If you plan to make any amendments to your unit title application that provides for staged development, then you must apply for the approval to do so.

Please be advised, if your application is successful you will also be required to register your unit plans with the Agency. The Agency must be also notified of any changes to this plan, including damages incurred other than during demolition. If you intend to make minor alterations to the internal boundaries of common property (for example, a driveway or car park) you must also apply for Agency approval.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • Provide a unit title assessment report, undertaken by a works assessor or a building surveyor, that is not more than 3 months old
  • Provide a plan prepared by a registered surveyor
  • For staged developments, provide a development statement
  • Show that all proposed class A units are a part of a building, with boundaries defined by reference to the floors, walls and ceilings of the building
  • Show that all proposed class B units are land that has boundaries unlimited in height except to the extent of any encroachment at, above or below ground level by another part of the parcel
  • Show that all unit subsidiaries are buildings or parts of buildings
  • Show that each unit, or proposed unit, is suitable for separate occupation.

Please be advised, if more than one person will own units on the land an owners corporation must be formed. The members of the owners corporation are the owners of each of the units on the title. If any units are owned by more than one person, each part-owner is a member of the owners corporation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on your approval.



Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Administering agency

Environment and Planning Directorate
Planning and Land Authority

Act(s) name

Unit Titles Act 2001 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Leasing (Unit Titles)
Environment and Planning Directorate
Planning and Land Authority
Environment and Planning Directorate
Planning and Land Authority
ACT Architects Board

Operating address:
16 Challis St
Australian Capital Territory 2602
Mailing address:
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601


02 6207 1923

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.