You will require this permit if you intend to conduct a fireworks display. This permit is required for both outdoor and indoor displays. Displays may include fireworks in association with:
- Public events;
- Theatrical fireworks; or
- Displays of Chinese crackers.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this permit you must hold a Display Operator Licence or another authority to use fireworks that has been issued under a corresponding law. You will also be required to provide:
- Personal information about yourself;
- The time and date of the display;
- Documentation describing the safety management system that will be in place for the display;
- Personal information about the person or organisation sponsoring the display;
- Details of insurance arrangements;
- The location of the display, its potential impact on the community and surrounding areas;
- Details of any approval, if required, to use unleased national or territory land;
- Neighbouring resident, public and police, fire and emergency services notification arrangements;
- Information on the kind, size and quantity of fireworks to be used;
- Details of any special effects or procedures relating to fireworks or pyrotechnic substances in the display; and
- Site storage, security and public control arrangements.
If you don't hold a Display Operator Licence or authority from a corresponding law relating to the use of fireworks you will be required to provide more information. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
As specified on the permit.
Less than 1000 explosives.
More than 1000 explosives.
Non display operator permit.
You will be required to submit specific details of the event, for example organisation or persons involved, insurance details. Please see the application form or consult the Contact Officer for more details.
Your application must be submitted at least 28 days prior to the planned display.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Dangerous Substances Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
Dangerous Substances (Explosives) Regulation 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon