Licence to Take Water - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to take surface or ground water from any place, or you intend to take ground water from a bore. This does not include for camping or similar purposes, or the watering of travelling stock. An exemption exists for fire and police services personnel.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Have a water access entitlement to the water source
  • Complete the application form
  • Provide information about the purpose for the taking of water (the water may not be used on urban residential property)
  • Must be a person of good character and nature and have a good environmental record
  • Pay any fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



This licence is not transferable.


To be defined on the licence.


ApplicationAdministration fees range from $432.30 to $8,393.70.

Administering agency

Environment and Planning Directorate

Act(s) name

Water Resources Act 2007 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Water Resources Regulation 2007 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Water Regulation Unit
Environment and Planning Directorate

Operating address:
Dame Pattie Menzies House
16 Challis St
Australian Capital Territory 2602


02 6207 1923


13 22 81

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.