You will require this licence if you intend to:
- Possess or produce industrial hemp plants and seed;
- Export industrial hemp seed to someone in a foreign country;
- Supply industrial hemp seeds to researchers, other growers or people authorised to possess hemp seeds; or
- Possess or produce hemp seeds for use under the supervision of a researcher as part of a field trial conducted on land which you own.
Allowable hemp seeds will produce hemp plants with a tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration in their leaves and flowering heads of not more than 0.5 percent.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Apply in writing to the Agency, including all information that may be required;
- Have the necessary educational or other qualifications and experience to engage in plant breeding or other research as required;
- Not have been convicted of a serious crime;
- Not be bankrupt or personally insolvent;
- Have a clear conviction record for a minimum of 5 years in relation to drugs and medicines; and
- Pay the relevant application fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Up to 3 years.
Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.
Application for a Hemp Grower Licence - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.
Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.
Environment and Planning Directorate
Hemp Fibre Industry Facilitation Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon