You will require this licence if you intend to use a security sensitive substance which is a controlled dangerous substance. Security sensitive substances include:
- A substance that has a UN number
- An ammonium nitrate emulsion or mixture, containing greater than 45% ammonium nitrate
- A substance with UN number 3139, if the substance is a form of ammonium nitrate. It does not include any ammonium nitrate solution or any form of ammonium nitrate that is an explosive.
The following purposes could constitute a legitimate need for this authorisation:
- Academic, scientific or industrial research
- Building construction or building demolition work
- Commercial production processes
- Forestry operations
- Manufacturing, smelting or refining
- Mining, quarrying or road works
- Tertiary education (in science and engineering)
- Transportation, distribution and storage connected with any of the above.
As the holder of this licence, you will be in control of:
- Any handling of the substance
- The premises where the substance is used
- Any associated plant or system
- Any associated activity.
You must ensure that the substance is used only for the purpose stated in the licence, and that no-one other than a security cleared, responsible person named in the licence has unsupervised access to it.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must supply:
- Your application on the approved form;
- Copies of identification papers for yourself and any other responsible person named in the application;
- In the case of a corporate, supply the corporation's Australian Company Number;
- The purpose for carrying the substance;
- Details of each vehicle to be used for carrying the substance;
- A security plan prepared in accordance with the Regulations; and
- Payment of the relevant application fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Licence may be issued for up to 3 years.
For a second or subsequent security sensitive substance activity authorised under the licence.
Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Dangerous Substances Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
Dangerous Substances (General) Regulation 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon