Central Land Council Permits - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities on Aboriginal land in the Southern half of the Northern Territory.

The following permits are available:

  • Mining;
  • Entry access;
  • Transit on non-public roads;
  • Media permit; and
  • Special purposes such as research, environmental activities, filming and commercial projects or other work on Aboriginal land and/or with Aboriginal communities.

You will not require a permit if you are:

  • Visiting the public areas of a community and not staying overnight;
  • A government worker entering Aboriginal land for the purposes of your work; or
  • A contractor to the government working in communities. However, an entry permit is required for work on Aboriginal land outside communities (including outstations).

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.



There are no fees for any of the permits.

Administering agency

Central Land Council

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 (Australian Government)

Contact details

CLC Permit Officer
Central Land Council

Operating address:
27 Stuart Highway
Alice Springs
Northern Territory 0870
Mailing address:
PO Box 3321
Alice Springs
Northern Territory 0871


08 89516211


08 89534343

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.