You will require this licence if you intend to play copyrighted music in your business.
This licence covers the use of any of the following devices for the broadcast of background music:
- Background music systems, including CD, tape player, radio, music services, or each zone or channel of a multi-channel device;
- Radios or TV sets or large screens; or
- Audio or video juke boxes.
This licence will apply to you if you operate any of the following:
- Hotel, club, motel, tavern or bar;
- Restaurant or cafe;
- Retail outlet;
- Health or beauty service;
- Fitness centre or trainer;
- Theatre or cinema;
- Corporate or business workplace;
- School, university or other tertiary institution;
- Dance school or eisteddfod organiser;
- Community band, choir or performance group;
- Hall, ice rinks, function or sports centre; or
- Other services to the public.
Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright:
- Licensing in relation to the composition, or musical work, is administered by the Australasian Performing Right Association / Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society, (APRA AMCOS); and
- Licensing in relation to the recording (for example, the CD or music in other formats) is administered by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australian Record Industry Association Limited (ARIA).
This licence covers the composition only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the PPCA or ARIA. It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Apply using the relevant form; and
- Pay the appropriate licence fee.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Annual renewal is required.
Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
Australasian Performing Right Association
Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society
Revenue and Licensing
Copyright Act 1968 (Australian Government)
Copyright Regulations 1969 (Australian Government)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon