Scientific Permit - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to conduct scientific research in Commonwealth-controlled waters within the Australian Fishing Zone using a specified boat, including foreign boats.

The Australian Fishing Zone generally extends 200 nautical miles outward from the coast of Australia.

Scientific permits are granted for the purposes of conducting scientific research in a specified area of the Australian Fishing Zone (AFZ) or in a specified fishery.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • Provide details relating to your vessel;
  • Specify the proposed location and master;
  • Provide a
detailed proposal outlining the projects aims, objectives and method of the research; and
  • Specify the fishing equipment to be used.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Six months.



No fees are required.

Administering agency

Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Act(s) name

Fisheries Management Act 1991 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries Management Regulations 1992 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Mailing address:
PO BOX 7051
Canberra BC, Australian Capital Territory 2610




02 62255328


02 62255439

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.