Register as a Higher Education Provider - Australian Government

Service summary

You will be required to apply for this registration if you are a regulated entity intending to operate a school, university or institution that provides:

  • Australian higher education awards; or
  • Overseas higher education awards.

A regulated entity means a corporation established by or under a law of the Commonwealth or Territory, or a person who conducts activities in a Territory. Your application for registration as a higher education provider must also be accompanied by an application for accreditation of at least one course of study.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for information regarding eligibility requirements or view the attached guides.


Up to 7 years.



Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Comply Fee Determination - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Administering agency

Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency

Act(s) name

Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2011 (Australian Government)

Contact details

General Enquiries
Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency

Mailing address:
TEQSA GPO Box 1672
Victoria 3001





Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.