Approval for Events on National Land - Australian Government

Service summary

You will be required to apply for approval if you intend to host an event on National Land within Canberra.

This approval is required for both public and private events, some of the types of events include:

  • Weddings;
  • Birthday and engagement parties;
  • Vow renewals;
  • Farewells / memorials;
  • Concerts; and
  • Circuses.

Please be aware that you will also be required to apply for a works approval if you require any of the following for your event:

  • Tents, marquees or sun shelters;
  • Vehicle access;
  • Temporary sheds;
  • Jumping castles or amusement rides;
  • Platforms or stages;
  • Scaffolding and / or towers for cameras or sound systems;
  • Signage, flags or banners;
  • Portable toilets; and / or
  • Pickets, stakes or fences.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on your approval.



You may be required to pay a bond to cover possible damage to the venue or its surrounds. Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

National Capital Authority

Act(s) name

Australian Capital Territory (Planning and Land Management) Act 1988 (Australian Government)

Contact details

General Enquiries
National Capital Authority

Operating address:
Treasury Building
King Edward Terrace
Australian Capital Territory 2600
Mailing address:
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601


02 62712888


02 62734427

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.