You will require this licence if you are the operator of a subscription based television broadcasting service. These services are defined as services that:
- Provide programs that, when considered in the context of the service being provided appear to be intended to appeal to the general public;
- Are made available to the general public but only on payment of subscription fees (whether periodical or otherwise); and
- Comply with any determinations or clarifications under current legislation in relation to subscription broadcasting services.
Subscription television can be provided using any delivery system, for example digital, satellite, cable, MDS (microwave or multi-point distribution system) or other means.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Be a company formed in Australia or in an external Territory and which has share capital; and
- Satisfy the Agency that your entity is a suitable applicant and does not pose a risk of committing an offence under the Act, civil penalties or licence breaches.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.
Department of Communications and the Arts
Australian Communications and Media Authority
Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (Australian Government)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon