Pilotage Provider Licence - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to offer pilot training services and provide licenced pilots to vessels. There are four classes of licences:

  • Trainee Licence;
  • Restricted Licence;
  • Unrestricted Licence; and
  • Check Pilot Licence.

A Restricted pilot licence means that a pilot is authorised to pilot a ship in the identified pilotage area, but cannot pilot:

  • A loaded oil tanker;
  • A loaded chemical tanker;
  • A loaded gas carrier; or
  • In a pilotage area other than the Hydrographers passage, a ship that exceeds the draught endorsed on the restricted pilot licence.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Marine Order 54 and Pilot Advisory Notes for more information.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Navigation Safety and International Division

Act(s) name

Navigation Act 2012 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Navigation Regulations 2013 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Navigation Safety and International Division

Operating address:
82 Northbourne Avenue
Australian Capital Territory 2612
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 2181
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601


02 6279 5664


02 6279 5966


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.