Regional Forest Agreement Licence - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to export woodchips that were harvested from hardwood trees on land subject to a Regional Forest Agreement (RFA).

RFAs are plans created for the purpose of ensuring native forests are conserved through suitable management. You must hold a licence for each region from which you intend to harvest and export hardwood woodchips. RFAs are in place in 10 regions across:

  • New South Wales;
  • Victoria;
  • Western Australia; and
  • Tasmania.

Most native trees in Australia, such as those of the eucalyptus family, are hardwoods. Examples of softwoods, which you do not require this licence to export, include trees of the pine family.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In determining whether a licence will be granted the following criteria will be considered:

  • Effect on the environment of obtaining the woodchips;
  • Existence, or otherwise, of a local market for the woodchips and if no local market exists, the prospects for development of such a market;
  • The financial resources available to you;
  • Your ability and experience in the marketing and export of woodchips;
  • The source of the woodchips;
  • The terms of any agreement you have entered into or intend to enter into in relation to the woodchips;
  • Your commitment to value-adding and processing activities in Australia both now and in the future;
  • Your commercial reputation, including consideration of an applicant's past adherence to export licence conditions; and
  • Ppossible economic, social and operational impacts of a decision to grant or refuse a licence application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.





Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.



Application for a Regional Forest Agreement Licence - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Water Resources

Act(s) name

Export Control Act 1982 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Export Control (Hardwood Wood Chips) Regulations 1996 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Department of Agriculture and Water Resources

Operating address:
18 Marcus Clarke Street
Australian Capital Territory 2601
Mailing address:
GPO Box 858
Australian Capital Territory 2601




02 62723933

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.