You will require this certificate if you hold an overseas balloon flight crew authorisation and intend to undertake that activity within Australia. This certificate is intended for flight crew visiting Australia for a short period.
A certificate of validation has effect as:
- A balloon flight crew licence that is the equivalent of the authorisation
- A balloon class endorsement that is the equivalent of the authorisation
- A balloon flight crew rating that gives authorisation equivalent to that which is held overseas.
Once you are a holder of this certificate, which is equivalent to a flight crew licence, you can apply for the following balloon flight crew ratings:
- A flight instructor (balloon) rating; and
- A balloon grade of night Visual Flight Rules (VFR) rating.
Please note that if you intend on operating in Australia for more than three months then it is recommended that you apply for a Balloon Flight Crew Licence. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this certificate you must:
- Possess knowledge of the English language that is sufficient to enable you to safely exercise the authority given by the certificate;
- Be a suitable person to hold the certificate;
- Have passed the certificate of validation examinations that the Agency considers necessary in the interests of the safety of air navigation; and
- Hold an overseas medical certificate for the authorisation that is in force.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
3 months or as specified on the certificate.
Private Operations: $150. Commercial Operations: $200.
Within 1 month of expiry: $130.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Civil Aviation Act 1988 (Australian Government)
Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (Australian Government)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon