Export Permits - Australian Government

Service summary

You may require an export permit if you intend to export prescribed goods out of Australia.

Prescribed goods are goods that must be fit for human consumption, accurately described and labelled and fully traceable, including:

  • dairy products
  • eggs and egg products
  • fish and fish products
  • fresh fruit and vegetables
  • grains and seed
  • hay and straw
  • live animals (including their reproductive material)
  • meat and meat products (including products derived from poultry, fish, ratite, rabbits and wild game meat)
  • organic produce
  • plant and plant products

Specific registration requirements may apply to different categories of prescribed goods.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Approvals may be valid for 28 days or on an annual basis.



Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.



Application for a Permit to Export Goods - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Water Resources

Act(s) name

Export Control Act 1982 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Export Control (Orders) Regulations 1982 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Department of Agriculture and Water Resources

Operating address:
18 Marcus Clarke Street
Australian Capital Territory 2601
Mailing address:
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601




02 62723933

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.