Private Pilot Licence (PPL) - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require a Private Pilot Licence if you intend to fly an Australian aircraft as the pilot in command during private operations.

For the purposes of this licence an aircraft is engaged in private operations if it falls under the any of the following categories:

  • Agricultural operations on land owned and occupied by the owner of the aircraft;
  • The carriage of goods for purposes other than trade;
  • Aerial photography where the pilot and photographer are not being paid;
  • Aerial spotting where the pilot and organisation arranging the spotting are not being paid;
  • Conversion training for the purpose of endorsement of an additional type or category of aircraft in a pilot licence;
  • Passenger transport where no public notice of the flight has been given;
  • Passenger transport where the number of persons on the flight does not exceed 6;
  • No payment is made for the services of the operating crew; or
  • The persons on the flight, including the operating crew, share equally in the costs of the flight.

You may receive a licence for the following aircraft types:

  • Aeroplane (A);
  • Helicopter (H);
  • Gryoplane (G);
  • Airship (AS);
  • Powered lift (PL); and
  • Glider (GL).

You may receive a class rating for the following class of aircraft:

  • Single-engine aircraft;
  • Multi-engine aircraft; and
  • Single-engine helicopter.

You are only permitted to operate the type and class of aircraft that is listed on your licence. You receive class and type ratings according to the competency based training units that you have undertaken at approved flight training organisations or under the authority of an Air Operator Certificate.

Please be aware that there are comprehensive design endorsements, operational ratings, operational endorsements and flight activity endorsements that must be listed on your licence before you can undertake certain activities. You may receive these on your licence by completing the appropriate competency based training units at approved flight training organisations or under the authority of an Air Operator Certificate.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to receive this licence you must:

  • Be at least 17 years of age;
  • Pass the theory exam;
  • Meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements;
  • Pass a flight test for the licence and category rating.
  • Successfully complete an integrated or non-integrated training course. Integrated training courses require 10 hours solo flight time and 25 hours with a co-pilot, for non-integrated courses you will require 5 extra hours flight time; and
  • Hold a current medical certificate (Class 1 or 2).

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the licence.



Administering agency

Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Industry Permissions

Act(s) name

Civil Aviation Act 1988 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Enquiries, CASA Licensing and Registration Centre (CLARC)
Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Industry Permissions

Mailing address:
GPO BOX 2005
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601


1300 737 032


02 6217 1449


1300 737 187

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.