Recreational Pilot Licence - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to fly an aircraft as a pilot in command during daytime operations under the Visual Flight Rules (VFR).

Please note that this licence has replaced the Student Pilot Licence. If you wish to fly outside of the training areas listed below, you must obtain further endorsements and ratings.

A recreational pilot licence allows you to fly an aircraft:

  • Up to 25 nautical miles from the aerodrome where the flight began;
  • Within the designated training area; or
  • On a direct route from the aerodrome where the flight began and the designated training area.

You may receive a licence for the following aircraft types:

  • Aeroplane (A);
  • Helicopter (H);
  • Gryoplane (G);
  • Airship (AS);
  • Powered lift (PL); and
  • Glider (GL).

You may receive a class rating for the following class of aircraft:

  • Single-engine aircraft;
  • Multi-engine aircraft; and
  • Single-engine helicopter.

You are only permitted to operate the type and class of aircraft that is listed on your licence. You receive class and type ratings according to the competency based training units that you have undertaken at approved flight training organisations or under the authority of an Air Operator Certificate.

Please be aware that there are comprehensive design endorsements, operational ratings, operational endorsements and flight activity endorsements that must be listed on your licence before you can undertake certain activities.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to receive this licence you must:

  • Be at least 16 years of age or older;
  • Hold a current medical certificate (Class 1, 2 or recreational aviation medical);
  • Have 25 hours flight time that is comprised of 5 hours solo and 20 hours with a co-pilot;
  • Pass an aeronautical exam with the associated rating; and
  • Pass a flight test.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the licence.



Administering agency

Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Industry Permissions

Act(s) name

Civil Aviation Act 1988 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Enquiries, CASA Licensing and Registration Centre (CLARC)
Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Industry Permissions

Mailing address:
GPO BOX 2005
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601




02 62171449



Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.