Early Childhood Education Copyright Licence - Australian Government

Service summary

You may need this licence if you or your early childhood centre or educational institution plan to use music, visual works, books, magazines, journals and graphic works. The licence will cover you for all copyright requirements in your early childhood education programmes.

There are a few instances where the legislation allows you to use works for educational purposes without first obtaining permission. The use of the works must be for a non-profit purpose which includes but isn?t limited to:

  • performing music in a classroom during the course of instruction
  • copying works as part of the questions or answers in an exam
  • students copying works for personal research and study.

You will need the licence if you plan to:

  • play live or recorded music
  • play music on your telephone hold system or in staff areas
  • copy CDs or digital downloads to use at your facility
  • make video recordings that contain music copy portions of books, artwork, pictures or other materials
  • share your materials with other early childhood facilities.

Please contact the responsible Agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this permit, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • supply your ABN / ACN (if you have one)
  • submit the required forms
  • pay any prescribed fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for further details.



The cost is an annual fee per approved place at your facility. Approved places are the number of children you are licensed to have on the premises on any given day, not the number of children that are enrolled.

Additional information

The licence does not grant you permission to:

  • share music and videos on the internet
  • copy more than 10% or one chapter of a work in a book
  • use music or other kinds of works in any advertising or marketing
  • use music at events were admission fees are charged
  • make a profit from the sale of any materials used under the licence.

Administering agency

Early Childhood Australia

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 1969 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer
Early Childhood Australia

Toll Free:



http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/ Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.