You may require an Eligible Offsets Project Declaration if you intend to undertake activities to achieve:
- Greenhouse gas abatement; and
- Reduced carbon emissions.
The Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) enables landholders that hold an Eligible Offsets Project Declaration to earn Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs) for:
- Reducing or avoiding emissions of methane and nitrous oxide from livestock;
- Reducing or avoiding emissions of methane and nitrous oxide from burning off;
- Reducing or avoiding emissions of methane and nitrous oxide from soil;
- Reducing or avoiding emissions of methane from rice fields or plants;
- Projects avoiding emissions of greenhouse gases from a landfill facility where the waste was accepted to the facility before 1 July 2012; and
- Projects that remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere by sequestering carbon in living biomass, dead organic matter or soil.
A single ACCU represents one tonne of carbon dioxide equivalent and can be sold to people or businesses wanting to offset their emissions.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible to receive this declaration you must:
- Be a fit and proper person;
- Undertake the project within Australia;
- Be recognised as an offsets entity;
- Ensure your proposed project is covered by an approved methodology determination; and
- Complete the application form.
Please be aware that there are strict reporting requirements that must be met to receive your allocated carbon credit units. When you provide your report you will also be required to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement that entitles you to receive carbon credit units.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
As specified on the declaration.
Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.
Clean Energy Regulator
Renewables & Carbon Farming Division
Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) Act 2011 (Australian Government)
Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) Regulations 2011 (Australian Government)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon