You will require this approval if you intend to operate a centre from which pathology specimens are collected. Approval of an eligible collection centre will allow you to claim Medicare benefits for pathology services you provide.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this approval you must:
- be an Approved Pathology Authority (APA)
- have the necessary equipment for the collection and preparation of specimens for pathology procedures
- staff the facility with people employed or engaged by an APA
- properly train staff for the collection and preparation of pathology specimens
- ensure the proposed collection centre is owned, leased or sub-leased by an approved authority that is the sole proprietor of at least one eligible pathology laboratory that has been approved by the Agency.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Department of Human Services
Health Insurance Act 1973 (Australian Government)
Health Insurance (Accredited Pathology Laboratories - Approval) Principles 2002 (Australian Government)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon