Recognition of a Professional Association (Taxation and Finance) - Australian Government

Service summary

You must apply for this recognition if you operate as a:

  • Tax (Financial) adviser association;
  • BAS (Business Activity Statement) agent association; or
  • Tax agent association.

Recognition as a professional association grants you the authority to recognise professional qualifications and experience that are relevant to the registration of individuals as:

  • Registered tax agents,
  • BAS agents; and
  • Tax (financial) advisers.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for recognition you must:

  • Be a not for profit organisation;
  • Have appropriate corporate governance and operational procedures;
  • Ensure voting members undertake continuing professional development; and
  • Ensure each voting member is of good fame, integrity and character.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.





Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Tax Practitioners Board

Act(s) name

Tax Agent Services Act 2009 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Tax Practitioners Board

Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1620
Sydney, New South Wales 2001


1300 362 829

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.