Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) - Australian Government

Service summary

You may require this certificate if your business owns or leases a building that is disclosure affected.

You cannot sell, lease or sublet a building which is disclosure affected unless a valid, current building energy efficiency certificate for the building is registered.

A building will be disclosure affected if:

  • the total area for sale, lease or sublease is greater than 2 000 square metres
  • the owner or the tenant subleasing are constitutional corporations
  • seventy five per cent or more of the total office space available in the building is lettable area
  • it has been more than two years since a certificate of occupancy or equivalent was issued
  • it has been more than two years since a major refurbishment
  • it is not held under strata title
  • sale of the building, or partial sale, is not through selling shares or units
  • the lease or sublease is longer than twelve months.

A building energy efficiency certificate sets out the energy efficiency rating for the building, including its lighting, and provides guidance on how energy efficiency might be improved. When you advertise the building for lease or sale you must include a valid current energy efficiency rating in the advertisement, advertising includes banners on buildings, foyers and perimeter fences.

Exemptions from requiring this certificate may also be granted.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To obtain a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) you must:

  • engage a Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) accredited assessor to undertake the assessments you need and apply for a BEEC
  • obtain a National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) rating and a Lighting Assessment for the disclosure affected area.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 12 months.



Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.


Apply How to Get a BEEC Opens in a new browser window

Administering agency

Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
Commercial Building Disclosure

Act(s) name

Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010 (Australian Government)

Regulation(s) name

Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Regulations 2010 (Australian Government)

Contact details

The CBD Team
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
Commercial Building Disclosure

Mailing address:
GPO BOX 9839
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601


1800 020 131

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.