Licence to Construct or Operate a Pipeline - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to survey for, operate or construct a pipeline to convey any gaseous, liquid or solid state substance. However, this excludes the conveyance of petroleum within the adjacent area, as defined offshore petroleum legislation.

The process for obtaining this licence is as follows:

  • Authority to Survey: this is an optional stage that you can apply for to allow you access to lands to investigate potential pipeline routes;
  • Licence to Construct: allows construction of the pipeline within the licence area. This includes the commencement or continuation of construction, or the alteration or reconstruction, of a pipeline; and
  • Consent to Operate: granted when the pipeline is fit for its purpose and can be operated safely. You must lodge and implement a pipeline management plan consisting of written plans, policies and procedures.

Please be aware that:

  • You must ensure that the design, construction, operation and maintenance of any pipeline operated under the licence are in accordance with the relevant standards; and
  • If you intend to cease operating a pipeline, or intend to re-commence operation of a ceased pipeline, you must first obtain consent from the Minister.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must apply and gain the consent of the Minister to construct or operate a pipeline. The licensing process has a number of steps which must be undertaken to ensure that any pipeline complies with all regulatory requirements. Due to the complexities of the licensing process, you should consult with the Contact Officer for more information.


Until cancelled or surrendered. This licence may be reviewed by the Minister at intervals of not less than 21 years.



Application to construct or operate pipeline.


Authority to survey.


Vary application.


Vary licence area.


Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.



Application for a Licence to Construct or Operate a Pipeline - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.



Your application must be accompanied by the following documentation:

  • Design and construction of the proposed pipeline;
  • The size and capacity of the proposed pipeline;
  • The substance intended to be conveyed;
  • The proposals for the work and expenditure needed for the construction of the proposed pipeline;
  • You and your employees technical qualifications;
  • The technical advice available to you;
  • Your financial resources; and
  • A plan for the route of the proposed pipeline.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment
Division of Resources and Energy

Act(s) name

Pipelines Act 1967 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Pipelines Regulation 2013 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Head Office
Department of Planning and Environment
Division of Resources and Energy

Operating address:
MLC Centre
Level 48
19 Martin Place
Sydney, New South Wales 2000
Mailing address:
Haymarket, New South Wales 1240


02 8289 3968

Toll Free:

1300 736 122


02 9338 6950


Division of Resources and Energy Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.