Occupation Certificate - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this Certificate if you intend to occupy or use a new building or change the use of an existing building.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this Certificate you must provide details of a Development Consent or a Complying Development Certificate for the structure.

You must also have current Construction Certificates for any work that has been carried out.

You must also include a statement that shows that the building is suitable for occupation or use according to Australian building codes.

You must also provide other details such as a Final Fire Safety Certificate for the building.

Please consult directly with the Council for information on any eligibility requirements specific to your approval.


As specified on the certificate.



Fees for this approval vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.



Occupation Certificate - Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for a copy of this document.

Administering agency

Sutherland Shire Council

Act(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Duty Officer
Sutherland Shire Council

Operating address:
4 Eton Street
NSW 2232
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 17
NSW 1499


02 9710 0333

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.