Tranquilliser Firearm Permit - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to possess or use a tranquilliser firearm to immobilise, tranquillise or administer vaccines or other medicines to animals. This permit only allows you to use the tranquilliser firearm in the normal course of your occupation, or for undertaking an approved training course in relation to the firearm. This permit can be issued to a business or an individual.

Please note that a tranquilliser firearm must also be registered.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for this permit the possession or use of the tranquilliser firearm must be a necessary part of your occupation and you must:

  • Submit the required application forms and associated documentation; and
  • Pay the relevant application fees.

If you have never held this permit before, or you do not currently hold an equivalent issued permit, you will be required to complete a safety training course for tranquilliser firearms.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.





Please refer to the attached documents for information regarding the required documentation to be submitted with your application.

Administering agency

Department of Justice
NSW Police Force
Firearms Registry

Act(s) name

Firearms Act 1996 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Firearms Regulation 2006 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries, Permits Unit
Department of Justice
NSW Police Force
Firearms Registry

Mailing address:
Locked Bag 1
New South Wales 2484


02 6670 8590


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.