Workers Compensation Requirements - New South Wales

Service summary

You must have a workers compensation insurance policy if you employ or hire workers on a regular, casual or contract basis. Generally, a worker is someone who receives wages or commission, regardless of the number of hours worked each week, and includes workers who work away from their employer's premises, apprentices or trainees and employees of private households.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Eligibility requirements

All businesses in New South Wales must have a workers compensation policy.


Policies are valid for 12 months.



The premium payable is based initially on an estimate of wages to be paid to workers in the year for which insurance is required. The business will be classified according to the degree of risk involved in the type of activity undertaken.

Administering agency

Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
Insurance and Care NSW

Act(s) name

Workers Compensation Act 1987 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Workers Compensation Regulation 2016 (New South Wales)

Contact details

General Enquiries
Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
Insurance and Care NSW

Operating address:
321 Kent Street
Sydney, New South Wales 2000


13 42 22

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.