Licence to Sell Liquor for Consumption On-Premises - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to sell or supply liquor secondary to another service on your premises. This licence applies to a variety of purposes including (but not limited to):

  • restaurants and cafes
  • accommodation premises (motel, bed and breakfast, etc.)
  • a public entertainment venue (nightclub, theatre, etc.)
  • a public hall
  • a sporting facility (sporting club or stadium)
  • a racing facility
  • a tourism business
  • a catering service or function centre
  • a tertiary institution (university or college)
  • an airport
  • a vessel.

This licence is issued where the sale, supply or consumption of liquor is not the primary business or activity carried out on the premises. The sale of alcohol under this licence must be with or additional to another product or service, for example accommodation or food.

Please be aware that:

  • you can apply as an individual or a corporation
  • standard trading hours will apply (5.00am to midnight Monday to Saturday, and 10.00am to 10.00pm on Sunday). If you intend to sell or supply liquor out of the standard trading hours an application to extended trading hours is required
  • you can apply for a Primary Service Authorisation that allows you to offer liquor without needing to be with or ancillary to a meal
  • there is a liquor licensing freeze that applies to additional authorisations (such as Primary Service Authorisation or extended trading) for premises in prescribed precincts in the City of Sydney local government area.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • be a fit and proper person to carry on the business
  • ensure your premises and facilities meet standards and requirements specified under the Act
  • provide a copy of the local Council's development consent or approval for the premises (if required and approved)
  • undergo a police check and provide the certificate (if you are applying as an individual)
  • if you are applying to operate a pubic entertainment venue, provide a community impact statement (CIS)
  • provide a copy of your Responsibly Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate or competency card (if you are applying as an individual)
  • submit the required forms and documentation
  • pay any required fees.

Please be aware that you can apply as an individual or a corporation. If you are applying as a corporation you must have an appointed manager that has been approved by the Authority. This is a separate application process.

You are advised that all staff must attend any required training for the purposes of the licence as specified by the Authority, including a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) course by a registered training organisation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Remains in force until surrendered or cancelled.



Additional risk-based loadings (fees that reflect the level of risk posed by your venue and its operation) may apply.

Administering agency

Department of Industry
Liquor and Gaming NSW

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2007 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2008 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Liquor Applications
Department of Industry
Liquor and Gaming NSW

Operating address:
GPO BOX 7060
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Operating address:
Level 6
323 Castlereagh Street
Haymarket, New South Wales 2000


1300 024 720

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.