Licence to Temporarily Exhibit an Animal - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to temporarily exhibit an animal for the purposes of entertainment. This includes exhibiting animals at temporary or moveable establishments or structures such as circuses, fairs, fun fairs, amusement parks or similar place of entertainments, or at pre-schools, schools, TAFE establishments, universities or other places of education.

This licence applies to any person in charge of animals intended for exhibition, including the owner of the animal and any person who has the animal in their possession, custody, control or supervision.

You will not require this licence if you hold a separate permit authorising the exhibition of animals of the species you intend to display.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You may be exempt from this licence if you intend to exhibit animals only in the course of:

  • their display for sale;
  • a competition, race, or rodeo;
  • an agricultural demonstration, show or parade;
  • an authorised scientific experiment;
  • the operation of a fish farm or similar establishment;
  • a meeting of an organisation dedicated to the keeping of those animals; or
  • a school 'show-and-tell' activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Complete and lodge an application form, accompanied by the application fee and all associated documents;
  • Comply with the relevant standards for the exhibition of animals, including provisions contained in animal welfare legislation;
  • Obtain appropriate public risk insurance;
  • Display the licence, once obtained, at the premises where your exhibition is conducted;
  • Implement measures to ensure veterinary drugs kept at your exhibition are accessed and administered only by veterinary practitioners, and that veterinary equipment is safely disposed of;
  • Develop and implement a plan to educate spectators at your exhibit with regard to the conservation of animals;
  • Maintain appropriate records of animals you exhibit;
  • Notify the agency in the event of the escape of any animal, an injury caused by an animal to a member of the public, or the widespread outbreak of any serious disease amongst the animals you exhibit;
  • Maintain a supply of anti-venom and an emergency treatment plan for any venomous animals you exhibit;
  • House and exhibit animals in a way that ensures the safety of spectators, without tethering animals for any purpose other than veterinary treatment or grooming; and
  • Employ an adequate number of trained and competent staff.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 12 months.


This authorisation expires on 1 July each year.



New, renewed or transferred licence for thirty or fewer animals.

Licence$1,035.00New, renewed or transferred licence for more than thirty animals.



Applications for renewal of existing licences must be lodged in May.

Administering agency

Department of Industry
NSW Department of Primary Industries
NSW Agriculture

Act(s) name

Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Exhibited Animals Protection Regulation 2010 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries, Animal Welfare Branch
Department of Industry
NSW Department of Primary Industries
NSW Agriculture

Operating address:
161 Kite Street
New South Wales 2800
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 21
New South Wales 2800


02 6391 3149

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.