Approval for the Installation of Water and Sewer Services - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to undertake a development that may require the installation of a water supply or sewerage service with in the area of operations of the Hunter Water Corporation. Although the requirements for each development vary, the most common concern the design and construction of water and sewer mains and major assets which connect, join or augment Hunter Water's water and sewer systems. You will require this approval if your development includes:

  • Subdividing land
  • Building residential units
  • Industrial or commercial premises.

Please note that you may also need a separate application to connect to an existing water supply or sewerage service operated by Hunter Water.

Please consult with your local Council or Hunter Water for information on forms to be submitted.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not require this approval for a stand-alone dwelling.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


ApplyApplication$487.00Development Assessment
Application$487.00Water or Sewer Main Extension Application
Inspection$374.00Assess Water Main Adjustment
Inspection$487.00Assess Sewer Main Adjustment
Application$355.00Additional Sewer Connection
Application$355.00Stormwater Channel Connection
Inspection$119.90Assess encroaching on Hunter Water Land, Easement Rights or Assets (per hour)
Examination$5,257.00Sewer Pump Station Design Review
Examination$4,774.00Water Pump Station Design Review
Examination$4,774.00Recycled Water Pump Station Design Review
Examination$1,182.00Servicing Strategy Review
Examination$1,182.00Environmental Assessment Repoert Review



Approval for the Installation of Water and Sewer Services - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.



Step 1: Apply for a Developer Services 2016-17 Certificate.

  • You will need to submit a full set of plans and pay a fee for Hunter Water to investigate your development requirements.
  • If it is determined that you are building within the zone of influence of any Hunter Water asset you will need to submit a Build Over Asset Application with your plans which will then be stamped and returned to you within three business days.

Step 2: Hunter Water investigates your application.



Step 3: Receive a Notice of Requirements letter.

The requirements for your development may include:

  1. Payment of a recycled water developer charge
  2. Design and construct water and sewer infrastructure to serve your development
  3. Transfer of the infrastructure to the Corporation.

You may be required to consult and accredited design consultant to assist in these requirements. You may also be required to prepare a Review of Environmental Factors (REF) to assess the likely impacts of an activity on the environment.

A trade waste application may also be required if discharging industrial by-products.

Step 4: Issue of Developer Services Application 2016-17 Certificate or letter confirming that you have met Hunter Water?s requirements.
Step 5: Arrange the connection to the water and / or sewer systems and pay the relevant fees.


Appeal Fees

Application$404.00Revision of Development Assessment

Administering agency

Dungog Shire Council

Act(s) name

Hunter Water Act 1994 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer
Dungog Shire Council

Operating address:
198 Dowling Street
NSW 2420
Mailing address:
Dungog, New South Wales 2420


02 4995 7777


02 4995 7750


Dungog Shire Council Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.