Road Occupancy Licence - Development Activities - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to occupy a New South Wales State road for activities involving modification to a state road asset. Examples of developmental activities include new constructions or major upgrades or redevelopments, road maintenance including kerb and gutter repair, road widening, repair or construction of road signs, and road re-surfacing.

The licence applies to the occupation of the road space only and does not imply permission or approval for the actual (physical) works being undertaken - you will need to obtain any other approvals or licences from the relevant Agencies.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Submit the required application forms;
  • Provide notice to the public about the development and encourage expression of public opinion;
  • Undertake a risk assessment of the activities described in the road occupancy application;
  • Have obtained (or be willing to obtain) any other relevant approvals, permits or licences; and
  • Provide any other details (such as plans) that may be required.

Please note that Traffic Management Plans must be prepared by a person in possession of a current Select / Modify Traffic Plans qualification or higher.


As specified on the licence. If activities cannot go ahead at the times approved on a licence, because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances, you may reapply for an extension, which may or may not be granted.



The Agency does not currently charge a licensing fee, but licences issued by other authorities may attract a fee.


Apply Road Occupancy Forms Opens in a new browser window



For all occupancies that are on or may impact upon a state roads, applications are to be made to the Planned Incident Unit. For occupancies that impact solely upon council roads, applications are to be made to the relevant local council authority.


Please lodge your application form directly with the Agency. You will need to attach to your application form a Traffic Management Plan and a Traffic Control Plan.

Approval time

Ten working days.

Administering agency

Transport for NSW
Roads and Maritime Services
Road Services

Act(s) name

Roads Act 1993 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Road Occupancy Unit, Transport Management Centre
Transport for NSW
Roads and Maritime Services
Road Services

Operating address:
101 Miller Street
North Sydney
New South Wales 2060
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 928
North Sydney
New South Wales 2059


02 83961513

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.