Contractor Licence - Air Conditioning and Refrigeration - Company / Partnership - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you operate as a company or partnership that intends to install, maintain or service air conditioning or refrigeration systems (other than their own) in the commercial or industrial sector. This does not include work on self-contained single phase plug-in domestic air conditioning systems, air conditioning systems in a motor vehicle and self contained single phase plug-in domestic refrigeration systems.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


3 years



For information on any fees to be submitted with your application, please refer to the attached Home Building Fees page from the NSW Fair Trading website.



A renewal notice is sent by the Agency 6 weeks prior to due date.

Approval time

Applications will generally be assessed within 28 days.

Administering agency

Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
NSW Fair Trading

Act(s) name

Home Building Act 1989 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Home Building Regulation 2014 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries, Home Building Licensing
Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
NSW Fair Trading

Mailing address:
PO BOX 972
Parramatta, New South Wales 2124

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.