Application to Connect Water and Sewerage Services - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to connect to a water supply or sewerage service operated by the Sydney Water Corporation. You will be required to have your planning application for water and sewerage services connection inspected by either Sydney Water or NSW Fair Trading before you take them to your local Council for connection. You may need to apply or get an approval if you are developing your land, connecting to Sydney Water's pipes or want to move or remove Sydney Water's pipes.

Once you have submitted your building plans, the necessary forms and support documentation, you may apply to connect through Sydney Water Tap in. Once Sydney Water has approved your connection you will need to choose a listed provider to make your connection and finish your plumbing work. However, some types of connections can only be made by Sydney Water.

Please use the contact details below or consult Hunter Water to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

If you need a new connection for new developments at your business, you must first have Sydney Water inspect your building plans. If you are developing, subdividing or adding an extra dwelling on a property you must:

  • ensure there are water and wastewater pipes to connect to
  • ensure the pipes are the right size for the development
  • apply for a Section 73 Certificate.

If you are excavating, demolishing or building on a property you must:

  • ensure your proposed works will not damage Sydney Water's pipes
  • ensure that Sydney Water can still get to their pipes if required
  • apply for a Section 73 Certificate.

You must have a meter fitted to your water service before you start using Sydney Water services. Water meters can be fitted by licensed plumbers or Sydney Water.

Ongoing requirements

If Sydney Water approves your connection you may continue to be responsible for:

  • managing trade wastewater (via an additional services agreement)
  • the cost of making the connection
  • maintaining all your private pipes from the point where they connect with Sydney Water's service.



Please consult Sydney Water or Tap in for information on fees to be submitted.



Application to Connect Water and Sewerage Services - Please consult the Council or Sydney Water for information on forms to be submitted.

Approval time

For most services, Sydney Water will approve your connection right away or within a maximum of 21 days.

Additional information

For most applications you will need to provide your property address or Sydney Water property number to support your application. If Sydney Water does not have any pipes for you to connect to, you will be required to apply to extend the wastewater system.

If you intend on building close to or over Sydney Water's pipes you may be referred to a Water Servicing Coordinator for a more detailed assessment.

Administering agency

Mosman Municipal Council

Act(s) name

Sydney Water Act 1994 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Sydney Water Regulation 2011 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer
Mosman Municipal Council

Operating address:
Mosman Square
Spit Junction
NSW 2088
Mailing address:
PO BOX 211
Spit Junction, New South Wales 2088


02 9978 4000


02 9978 4132


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.