Walking Stock Permit - New South Wales

Service summary

You may require this permit if you intend to travel stock through a travelling stock reserve. A travelling stock reserve is any route or land set aside for travelling stock, including a stock watering place.

This type of permit is generally issued for:

  • long distance travel by travelling stock walking from one region to another
  • travelling stock throughout a region during times of drought.

Please note that NSW is divided into 11 regions. Each region has an office which is responsible for the management of travelling stock reserves in its area.

Please consult your regional office for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You may be able to make your application orally or using an approved form. If you application is made orally, you may be requested to confirm your application in writing.

Please consult your regional office for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As designated.



Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.



Walking Stock Permit - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Other resources



You must apply for a stock permit at least 2 working days in advance and must notify your regional office of any variation in the journey.

Administering agency

Department of Industry
Local Land Services

Act(s) name

Local Land Services Act 2013 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Local Land Services Regulation 2014 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Department of Industry
Local Land Services

Operating address:
MLC Centre
Level 48
19 Martin Place
Sydney, New South Wales 2000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 2105
Dubbo, New South Wales 2830

Toll Free:

1300 795 299


Local Land Services Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.