Permit for Export or Import of Crocodile Products - Northern Territory

Service summary

A permit for export or import of crocodile products is required:

  • for exporting skins or raw products out of Australia; and
  • for importing skins or raw products into Australia.

Only four manufactured crocodile items are allowed to be carried in personal luggage without a permit (for export from Australia only). If items are not carried in personal luggage, they must be sent as a commercial shipment.

Persons intending to remove crocodile products from the Northern Territory for commercial shipments only are required to have one of the following:

1) A crocodile farm licence that allows removal of eggs from the wild, raising of crocodiles in captivity and part of this licence allows trade in crocodile products.

2) A licence (called a permit) to trade in dead crocodiles and crocodile products. These are issued to non-farmers but who are in the industry, eg leather workers, tanneries and value adding in item making.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Permits are valid for only one consignment and only one month after issue.



Administering agency

Primary Industry

Act(s) name

Territory Parks & Wildlife Conservation Act 2006 (Northern Territory)

Contact details

Technical Officer Crocodiles & Apiary Officer

Operating address:
Berrimah Research Farm
Makagon Road
Berrimah NT 0800
Mailing address:
GPO Box 3000
Darwin NT 0801





Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.