Firearms Collector Licence - Northern Territory

Service summary

A firearms collector licence authorises the holder to possess and display only firearms of a category specified in the licence. Category A, B, C, and H firearms must be temporarily disabled. Category D firearms must be permanently disabled.

As of 1 July 2003, collectors wishing to possess and display Category H firearms that were manufactured after 31st December 1946 unless the holder is a 'student of arms' with the ACANT

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Must be a member of an approved historical collectors society or club.
To be considered as a 'student of arms' a person is required to:

  • hold a collectors licence
  • is, or has been for at least 12 months, a member of an approved historical collectors society and the society recognises the person as a student of arms
  • can demonstrate regular attendance at meetings of the society and participation in displays held by the society
  • can demonstrate firearm collection has thematic structure and historical or commemorative value; and
  • possesses a research library or contributes to the literature on the theme of their collection.


5 years.


$132 (115 Revenue Units)
In 2017/18 - 1 Revenue Unit is equivalent to $1.15

Administering agency

Northern Territory Police, Fire & Emergency Services

Act(s) name

Firearms Act 1997 (Northern Territory)

Contact details

Front Desk

Operating address:
Local Police Station




The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.