Portable Long Service Leave - Worker Registration - Northern Territory

Service summary

Construction workers who wish to accrue portable long service leave must register with NT Build.

The portable long service leave scheme enables registered workers in the construction industry to qualify for long service leave based on their service to the industry rather than service with the same employer.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The scheme covers workers performing repair, maintenance, extension and demolition work in commercial, domestic, industrial and civil construction.

To be eligible for the scheme a worker must:

  • be employed to carry out construction work in the NT;
  • work for the private sector, not government;
  • not be working in an administrative, clerical, managerial or professional capacity.

Workers employed either full-time, part-time, as a casual or as a labour-only contractor are eligible to register.





Administering agency

NT Build

Act(s) name

Construction Industry Long Service Leave & Benefits Act 2005 (Northern Territory)

Contact details


Operating address:
Units 32-33
12 Charlton Court
Woolner NT 0820
Mailing address:
PO Box 36644
Winnellie NT 0821






http://www.ntbuild.com.au Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.