Permit to Undertake Scientific Research - Northern Territory

Service summary

This permit authorises the observation, collection, surveillance or monitoring of wildlife in the wild for research purposes. If your activity has a commercial purpose you may also need to obtain a deed of agreement under the Biological Resources Act 2006.

You will also require Animal Ethics Approval.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Written permission of the land holder or relevant lands authority must be obtained prior to a permit application being submitted. If a permit is required within a NT Park or Reserve a Conditions Page must be signed and submitted with your application.

Permission must also be obtained from Crown Land Estate and the relevant land council if an application for a permit involves Crown or Aboriginal Land. Please contact the Crown Land Department, Northern Land Council, Central Land Council if this is the case.


As required.

Administering agency

Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory

Act(s) name

Territory Parks & Wildlife Conservation Act 2006 (Northern Territory)

Contact details

Permits Office

Permits Office is open Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays) from 8.00am to 4.00pm.

Operating address:
Level 1 JHV2
356 Bagot Road
Millner NT 0810
Mailing address:
PO Box 1448
Darwin NT 0801







Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.