Tourist Vehicle Licence - Northern Territory

Service summary

This licence permits an accredited operator to operate a tourist vehicle (TV) in the Northern Territory, usually outside municipalities. Tourist Vehicles are generally four-wheel-drive (4X4) vehicles, motorcycles or even Bon Trikes.

A Tourist Vehicle Licence generally permits for the carriage of tourists for hire or reward as a result of a pre-arranged tour that goes outside the environs of a municipality.

A tour may include:

  • sightseeing;
  • camping;
  • fishing.

Tours within a municipality, such as Motorcycle Tours, will require approval from the Director.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The operator must hold current operator accreditation in the NT.
There may be a requirement to be an accredited Tour Guide, contact the Tourism Topend Darwin for more details.


Variable; please contact the Motor Vehicle Registry on 1300 654 628 for further information.


Variable; please contact the Motor Vehicle Registry on 1300 654 628 for further information.

Administering agency

Department of Transport
Road Transport Division
Passenger Transport Division

Act(s) name

Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport Act 2008 (Northern Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Commercial Passenger (Miscellaneous) Regulations 2010 (Northern Territory)

Tourist Vehicle Regulations 2003 (Northern Territory)

Contact details

Accreditation & Licensing Officer

Business Hours: Monday to Friday - 8am to 4pm

Operating address:
2nd Floor, Energy House
18 - 20 Cavenagh Street
Darwin NT 0800
Mailing address:
PO Box 2520
Darwin NT 0801

Toll Free:




Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.