Over-Dimensional Permit - Northern Territory

Service summary

All vehicles that wish to travel by road must be registered. Special permits may apply for overwidth, oversized or overweight vehicles. Overwidth vehicles wishing to travel on council controlled roads may be required to seek approval from the relevant council. Approvals from other authorities such as the Power and Water Authority or the NT Police may also be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.





Additional information

For further information about permits, see the document 'Permit Guidelines for Oversize & Overmass Vehicles', located at http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/mvr/heavy-vehicles/oversize-and-overmass-vehicles-loads

Administering agency

Department of Transport
Road Transport Division

Act(s) name

Motor Vehicles Act 1978 (Northern Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Motor Vehicles (Standards) Regulations 2003 (Northern Territory)

Contact details

Customer Services Officer

Information about other Motor Vehicle Registry offices can be obtained at: http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/mvr/mvr-contacts

Operating address:
18 Goyder Road
Parap NT 0820
Mailing address:
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Toll Free:







http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/ Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.