Resource Allocation Authority (for aquaculture) - Queensland

Service summary

You require a resource allocation authority if the proposed aquaculture is on unallocated tidal land or in Queensland waters.

Resource allocation authorities normally covers all oyster and pearl oyster areas but also covers sea bed areas for sea ranching.  Areas have been approved for sea ranching in Hervey Bay area for bivalves and sand fish.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms


the cultivation of live fisheries resources for sale.


very young finger sized fish.


framework or wall run out to check drifting of beach and so stop encroaching of sea.

Live fisheries resources

oystering, pearl culture, cage culture, hatcheries, fish, prawn and crayfish farming, culture of marine plants, marine worms, crabs etc.


affording passage for ships.

Oyster area

a specified area identified and licensed for commercial oystering activities.

Oyster ground

includes an oyster bank and land below high water mark suitable for oystering operations or where oysters are found.

Oystering operations

the catching, cultivation, culling, maturing (whether on sticks, trays or other cultch) or taking of oysters, for the purpose of sale, trade or other purpose of any kind directed to gain or reward.

Pearl farming

artificial propagation of pearls in pearl oysters.


on river bank.

Eligibility requirements

There is no pre-requisite to obtaining this authority. However a development plan must also be completed when submitting this application.


Resource allocation authorities are generally issued for 30 years however there are exceptions and in some cases the authority is issued for a lesser period.


All fees are assessment fees. See the  List of aquaculture fees at . For further details of fees please contact the agency.


You can obtain this authority by completing an Application Form for Resource Allocation Authority and submitting it to the relevant Fisheries Queensland regional office. The Resource Allocation Authority Form is comprised of various sections.

Parts 1 and 2 must be completed for all aquaculture proposals within unallocated tidal land or in Queensland waters. If relevant, Part 1A and Part 3 should also be completed.

Part 1: Applicants details

Part 1A: Details of the additional applicants (must be completed if there is more than one applicant)

Part 2: Aquaculture on unallocated tidal land

Part 3: Works in a declared Fish Habitat Area must be completed if the proposed unallocated tidal land is also a declared Fish Habitat Area.

Forms can be obtained from:

Fisheries may require additional information to support your application.

Transfer details

To transfer this allocation authority, contact the relevant Fisheries Queensland regional office. Inspections by Departmental Officers will be conducted in most cases.

Additional information


Collection of oyster from the surface of rocks which required an aquaculture licence before 1 March 2005, is not considered aquaculture by definition, and therefore is not subject to an aquaculture licence anymore.  These activities are wild oyster harvests and therefore considered fisheries activity.  From 1 March 2005, they require an Authority-to-Take under the Fisheries Act 1994.  These activities should not be confused with oyster farming which is an aquaculture activity by definition.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Fisheries Queensland
Regulatory Reform and Consultation

Act(s) name

Fisheries Act 1994 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries Regulation 2008 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Fisheries Queensland
Regulatory Reform and Consultation

Operating address:
Level 5
Primary Industries Building
80 Ann Street
Brisbane, Queensland 4000


07 3087 8035


07 3087 8002


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Opens in a new browser window

Customer Service Centre
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries


13 25 23


07 3404 6999


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Customer Service Centre Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.