Accommodation licence (Brisbane) - Queensland

Service summary

This licence is no longer regulated by Brisbane City Council. The council withdrew the Accommodation Standards local law in August 2005.

If you are operating a residential service (Boarding houses and supported accommodation) as defined under the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002 you need to apply for registration and accreditation under this legislation to the Residential Services Accreditation Unit, Office of Fair Trading.

Once you have liased with Residential Services, please contact council and arrange for an audit of your premises. You can apply for this audit using the Request for assessment application form. There is a fee for this audit.

For further information about the following contact the Brisbane City Council call centre:

  • fire safety standards
  • building issues
  • vermin, rubbish and overgrown land
  • noise (plant and machinery)
  • illegal use, building certification and development approvals.


  • development assessment approvals: you need approval to run a business in your chosen location, or to change a class of business currently operating at the location
  • building plan approval: required when performing most building works. You can arrange for approvals to do building work through a building certifier (see listing in the Yellow pages under Building Surveyors)
  • plumbing approval: If you are installing items such as sinks and hand basins, or making alterations to existing plumbing work, you may need council approval
  • signage approval: some advertising signs require council approval.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Administering agency

Brisbane City Council

Contact details

Brisbane City Council

Operating address:
Library & Customer Centre, 266 George Street
Queensland 4000
Mailing address:
GPO Box 1434
Queensland 4001


07 3403 8888


07 3403 9982

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.